Warm breakfast and cold Christmas morning was the first thought that came to my mind when I took the first bite of Gluten free Butternut Squash Pistachio Bars. When I drizzled some maple syrup on it the taste was heavenly and every bite reminded me of how healthy and filling this breakfast is and so much in sync with my article ‘Breakfast is an Important Meal of the Day’!
When I was trying to figure out this recipe I wanted it to be oil free baking. Actually to tell you the secret I was trying to save the calories of the oil so that I can indulge into a grand Christmas dinner without guilt. It’s a celebration day and hence a Cheat Day for me and I am sure for all of you out there! 🙂 So coming back to the recipe I wanted to add squash in a different way with pistachio into my family’s diet since the season is for Squash and it is very important to eat seasonal produce. At the same time I wanted something that could be made very easily with just few ingredients that I had at home and not much baby siting required.
When I combined the squash and pistachio along with eggs and honey I was in dilemma about the outcome. I was practically pacing up and down and all over the kitchen while it was baking. I really wanted this recipe to work because of the nutrition contents and the fact that it is very high in protein. It’s important to start your day with high protein which will keep you fuller for long and hence help reduce weight. When it was time to take out the baking pan from the oven I kept staring at it. Gluten free Butternut Squash Pistachio Bars looked tempting but I was questioning myself that does it also taste as good as it looks? With that question in my mind I cut the first piece and took a bite of it. It was amazing. Then I drizzled some sweetener on it and it tasted even better than what I had thought and for few minutes I forgot that I was not eating a pancake but healthy breakfast bars. 🙂
- In a sauce pan combine squash and water and boil for 5 minutes or until semi soft. Let it cool for a while to room temperature.
- Preheat oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9 inch square cake pan/baking dish with a liner or grease it.
- Grind the pistachio roughly and keep it aside in a mixing bowl.
- Grind the squash to a smooth puree along with the left over water to add to the nutrition.
- In a bowl combine the beaten eggs, vanilla extract, and honey and mix well.
- Add the squash puree to the egg mixture and mix well until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the ground pistachio and mix well.
- Make sure that the batter is well mixed but no need to overdo it. Just enough to mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and put the pan in the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
- Take it out from the oven. Cut into square pieces.
- Garnish with more ground pistachio or drizzle more honey/maple syrup.
- Serve warm with your favorite beverage.