This Creamed Corn Casserole is a perfect holiday bake! Its rich and crunchy in every bite. Made with few simple ingredients and is bursting with flavors.
We generally love corn. So, any dish made out of it definitely tops our menu. I tasted creamed corn in some carnival few years back. Since then, I have been imagining and craving for it. But never got a chance to make it myself. Therefore, today, when I finally made it and served to my family the entire dish was gone within minutes. Hence, I had to share this recipe here so you all can enjoy it too.
Is this recipe healthy?
I have tried to make it as healthy as possible by using low calorie yet nutritious combinations. However, in order to enjoy the traditional taste, I have used certain ingredients which might not be very low in calories but they all are definitely cholesterol free.
Can I eat this recipe while on my weight loss journey?
Corn in itself is a plant-based food and is high in fiber. At the same time its high in starch as well. When combined with other ingredients it’s a good side dish. In any case whether you are on a healthy eating plan or on a weight loss journey, eating in proportion is important. And if you have cheat days then you can definitely go for this recipe depending on your eating schedule.
Ingredients for Creamed Corn Casserole
Frozen corn kernels
Unsweetened coconut milk
Plant based plain cream cheese
Regular/gluten free Flour
How to make this Creamed Corn Casserole
Firstly, I preheated the oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit and prepared a baking dish
Secondly, I melted vegan butter in a pot on the stove top and sautéed corn in it.
Then, I poured in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Stirred it well.
Next, I stirred in vegan cream cheese and cooked until it melted in the corn mixture.
Afterwards, I mixed in flour and let it cook covered for 20-30 minutes.
Lastly, I poured the corn mixture in a baking dish.
Thereafter, top it with panko bread crumbs.
Now, just baked it for 30 minutes or until panko turns golden in color.
Frequently asked question:
How do I store this dish?
This recipe tastes best when served immediately. However, store the leftovers in the refrigerator in the baking dish itself by covering it with a lid or aluminum foil for up to 2 days.
What can I serve with it?
Traditionally, grilled/baked chicken pairs excellently with this baked dish. For vegan option, dinner roll or garlic bread pairs well. You may also use serve grilled/baked tofu or roasted veggies on the side with it.
Can I make it in different vessels?
Yes, absolutely. I have mentioned the details in the recipe card below under the notes section.
Can I make it gluten free?
Yes, I have provided the option in the recipe card under ingredients.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below and rate this recipe also. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
This creamed Corn Casserole is a perfect holiday bake! Its
rich and crunchy in every bite. Made with few simple ingredients and is
bursting with flavors.
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 1 12 oz packet of corn kernels (frozen)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper or as per taste
- 1/4 cup plant based plain cream cheese
- 1/2 tbsp flour (regular/gluten free)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit and prepare an 8 inch square/rectangle baking dish.
In the meantime, melt butter in a nonstick pot/pan on the stove top and saute corns in it for 2-3 minutes or until corn mixes well with butter.
Then, stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper.
Add cream cheese and stir continuously until it melts nicely in the corn mixture (about 1-2 minutes).
Then, mix in flour and stir continuously until there are no lumps. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes on low-medium flame until the milk starts to thicken and corns are softer.
Pour the corn mixture in the baking dish and top it with panko evenly in one layer.
Place the baking dish in the oven and bake it for 25-30 minutes or until panko changes to golden in color.
Turn off the oven and take the dish out. Place it on a flat surface and serve immediately.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately.
- For storing: However, it can be refrigerated in the baking dish itself by covering it with a lid or an aluminum foil for 2 days. Reheat in the oven preferable to maintain the crunch of panko in this recipe.
- Using another vessel: You may make this recipe in a Dutch oven. Follow until step 6. Then turn off the flame and top it with panko evenly in one layer. Place the Dutch oven in the oven and bake as mentioned in step 8 above (In this case no other baking dish is required). If you an oven proof skillet even that will work for this recipe following the same steps as in Dutch oven.
- Variation: If you want to flavor this creamed corn with herbs then ½ tsp dried oregano and 1 tsp chopped fresh basil blends well in it.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above.