Fresh Cranberries caramelized in brown sugar, mixed with coconut flour, made into pancakes and maple syrup drizzled over them. A perfect Sunday morning breakfast for my family. 🙂
I got a huge bag of fresh cranberries from the store and I was super excited to create a new recipe with these berries. With some thinking I knew I wanted to make pancakes but the question was what combinations would be unique, delicious and healthy at the same time. I saw a huge bag of coconut flour sitting in my kitchen pantry. I decided to make Caramelized Cranberries Coconut Pancakes.
These berries are very tangy so I simmered the berries with the brown sugar in a nonstick pan for few minutes and the texture and the taste was divine. I love the flavor, aroma and the texture of brown sugar. It is best suited for baking and when added to any recipe it enhances the flavor with its distinct sweetness. Also I have noticed that I use less quantity of brown sugar in any recipe as compared to white sugar. But again as said in my earlier article always limit the consumption of sweetener in any form.
Since I used coconut flour I decided to add coconut milk into the pancake batter to give these pancakes a distinct flavor of coconut. The mild flavor of cranberries brought tangy flavor to the pancakes, the coconut flavor made me feel as if I was eating a healthy dessert for my breakfast, and the brown sugar brought a subtle flavor to the pancakes making them a delectable and healthy breakfast. I always use 100% pure maple syrup so that even if I consume the calories of the sweetener I would like to consume something pure to add some good fats and calories into my family’s diet. 🙂 When I served Caramelized Cranberries Coconut Pancakes to my family they instantly liked these pancakes. They were happy and satisfied until evening since these pancakes are filling and I was happy to see smiles on their faces. 🙂
- Heat a nonstick sauce pan over medium flame.
- Add cranberries, brown sugar and vanilla extract to the pan.
- Mix, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes till the cranberries are soft and mash it with a spoon.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool for a while.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whip the eggs and mix in the milk.
- Add the cranberries mix to the egg and milk. Beat thoroughly.
- Pour the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Let it stand for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime heat the griddle or fry pan over medium flame and grease it with cooking spray or oil of your choice.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter into the pan and shape it round.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. The pancake would rise a bit.
- Flip to the other side and cook again for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat the same process for all the pancakes.
- Drizzle sweetener of your choice and top it with cream if desired and serve warm.
Notes: The above recipe measurement yields 10 pancakes and the serving size is 2 pancake per person.