This Black Beans Curry is a fusion recipe made with Indian spices. It’s protein rich and satisfying. It’s quick and easy to make and pairs well with quinoa or brown rice.
This week has been quite eventful for me. I came back from my long International trip, totally emotional because I am missing my parents back in India.
Heavily jetlagged and the last working week made it a little hectic for us to settle down.
Lots of planning for the last couple of weeks of the year added with new resolutions for the coming year, my emotions have been going through upheaval. In the midst of all this I could not wait to get back to my healthy diet. Hence, I grabbed this opportunity of jetlag to cook protein rich entrée with lots of spiced flavors that were resting in my spice rack for few weeks.
Ingredients for Black Beans Curry
Dried fenugreek leaves
Few simple steps to make this Black Beans Curry
- Firstly, I heated oil in a nonstick pan and sauteed onion it it.
- Secondly, I mixed in all the spices.
- Next, I added unsweetened coconut milk, salt and sugar in it. Quickly stirred it and uncovered to bring it to first boil (about 5 minutes)
- Lastly, I mixed in black beans and served it over quinoa.
My other black bean recipes are:
Frequently asked questions:
- Dried fenugreek leaves can be found in any Indian store in the spice aisle.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. However, it can be refrigerated for 2-3 days in an air tight container.
- This recipe will taste very different that any curries or any black bean recipes.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below and also rate this recipe. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
This Black Beans Curry is a fusion recipe made with Indian spices. It's protein rich and satisfying. It's quick and easy to make and pairs well with quinoa or brown rice.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 14oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add onions. Saute until golden brown.
Add all the spices to it and saute for another 30 seconds.
Add coconut milk, salt and sugar. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until the first boil.
Add black beans, mix and cook again for 5 minutes.
Serve over boiled quinoa or brown rice.
- Dried fenugreek leaves are easily available in any Indian store.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. However, it lasts for 2-3 days in the refrigerator in an air tight glass container.