Cranberry Barley Soup
This is the one the most beautiful soup ever and one of my favorite too. It not only looks festive just in time for the holidays but warms the soul and satisfies the taste buds with its tangy and spicy flavors along with being wholesome with Barley. High in fiber and protein this Cranberry Barley Soup is seasoned with healing herbs and mild spices.
I used Pearled Barley for this soup because I love the chewy texture of barley and satisfies the tummy by controlling the false hunger pangs at odd hours. Barley is nutrient packed and helps in losing weight because it consists of essential amino acids and is very high in fiber. It is also helpful in stabilizing blood pressure and its phosphorous content helps in repairing or forming bones and body tissues. It also promotes good immunity and healthy skin with its vitamin C content.
Cranberries and Barley combined together with herbs, vegetable broth and some spices this Cranberry Barley Soup turned out to be so healthy and delicious and perfect for the cold weather. With snow outside, we all enjoyed this warm hearty soup while snuggling in our blanket and chatting with eat other. For Yashvi I reduced the spice added little sweetener and after eating this soup she was super energized and could not stop dancing all evening on her favorite numbers.
Cranberry Barley Soup
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||10 minutes|
|Total Time:||20 minutes|
|Serves:||3||See full nutrition!|
|Per Serving:||250 calories|
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup pearled barley
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- Pinch of ginger powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
For the soup
- In a sauce pan combine water and salt and bring it to a boil.
- Add rinsed barley in it and cook in a medium-low flame until tender and chewy. Keep it aside.
- In another saucepan heat oil and add cranberries.
- Immediately add salt, sugar and oregano and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Once cranberries start to release their juice, add rest of the ingredients and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- In a blender, blend the soup smooth and warm it again. Add barley and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Notes:This is spicy and tangy soup. If you prefer your soup on a sweeter side feel free to adjust sweetener as per your taste preference and in this case you may have to adjust salt and spice accordingly.
Any sweetener of your choice can be used in this soup if desired.