Black Beans Curry
This week has been quite eventful for me. I came back from my long International trip, totally emotional because I am missing my parents back in India. Heavily jetlagged and the last working week made it a little hectic for us to settle down. Lots of planning for the last couple of weeks of the year and some new resolutions for the coming year, my emotions have been going through upheaval. In the midst of all this I could not wait to get back to my healthy diet and I grabbed this opportunity of jetlag to cook protein rich entrée with lots of spiced flavors that were resting in my spice rack for few weeks.
I came up with Black Beans Curry since its freezing cold outside and I was craving for warm spicy yet wholesome food in the middle of the night. I served this entrée with boiled quinoa and it was a big hit in my family. A simple dish yet so delicious and ready in less than 30 minutes. What more can I ask for?
Since I had just landed few hours before midnight and was out of grocery I simply sautéed onions in some oil (I fortunately found 1 onion in my drawer ), seasoned it with as many spices and herbs as I could think of and added some coconut milk for a creamy base and lastly folded in canned black beans. Within minutes my dinner was ready and we ate heartily and happily with sweet memories of our trip.
Black Beans Curry
|Prep Time:||5 minutes|
|Cook Time:||20 minutes|
|Total Time:||25 minutes|
|Serves:||4||See full nutrition!|
|Per Serving:||369 calories|
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup red onions (chopped)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 14oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add onions. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add all the spices to it and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add coconut milk, salt and sugar. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until the first boil.
- Add black beans, mix and cook again for 5 minutes.
- Serve over boiled quinoa or brown rice.