This sweet, tangy yet spicy Plum Chutney is versatile enough to be served as a side dish with any grilled protein. Its easy and simple to make. Along with being vegan and gluten free it is low in fat.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 5 whole fresh sage leaves (chopped)
- 6 whole ripe fresh plums (seeds removed and finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp kala namak/black salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder powder/chili powder
Heat oil in a nonstick sauce pan.
Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
When the seeds start to flutter add sage leaves.
Immediately add chopped plums.
Mix well and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add sugar and mix well with a spatula. Again cover and cook for until the plums leaves its water.
Add the salt, black salt and cayenne pepper and mix well.
Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Turn off the flame and let it cool for a while.
Grind the chutney coarsely in a grinder/food processor.
Serve at cold or at room temperature with your favorite snacks.
- This chutney lasts for about 1 month in the refrigerator in an air tight glass container.
- Kala namak or black salt is easily available in any Indian store.
Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 2mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg