Chocolate Chips Pomegranate Cookies
These firm and chewy Chocolate Chips Pomegranate Cookies are unique Christmas dessert. Along with having the old favorite chocolate chip flavor, its made with other outstanding combination.
- 2 cups pomegranate seeds/arils (fresh/frozen)
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 tsp walnut/olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 1/4 cup vegan/dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/8 cup pomegranate seeds/arils (to garnish)
Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased liner.
In a food processor grind pomegranate seeds as smooth as possible. Strain the juice in a bowl with the help of a fine strainer. Keep it aside.
In a mixing bowl combine coconut flour, salt and baking powder and mix very well with a spoon.
In a food processor combine bananas, oil and vanilla extract and puree smooth.
Now pour the pomegranate juice, banana puree and milk into the dry ingredients and mix very well until smooth and thick batter like dough.
Lastly, fold in chocolate chips and mix again with a spoon.
Now take 1 tbsp. of the batter between your palms and make a smooth ball. Lightly press the ball with your palm and gently place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat this process for the rest of the dough and sprinkle pomegranate seeds on the cookies.
Place the cookie sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and let it stand in the warm oven for another 2 minutes for the cookies to settle.
Take it out of the oven and let it cool and serve. Leftover cookies can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
- If you like more pomegranates in your cookies, you may add ¼ cup pomegranate seeds into the batter in the 6th step while mixing chocolate chips in the batter. Make sure to mix well. Follow the rest of the instructions as mentioned.
- Avoid putting too many pomegranate seeds for toddlers and infants or very small kids as they may not like to bite on the seeds or the seeds might stick in their teeth.
- These cookies can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 4-5 days.
- If you are using frozen pomegranate arils then make sure to bring it to room temperature before juicing it.
- I have these cookies without added sugar. For us the sweetness of this recipe was perfect. However, you can do taste test of the batter before forming cookies out of the batter. At that point if you feel you need a little more sweet for your cookies then add about 1-2 tbsp of brown sugar. (Do go overboard with the sugar or else the taste of pomegranate will hide). Then mix the batter again and follow the rest of the steps.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 157mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 13IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg