Dry Rub Tofu with Spelt Elbows
This scrumptious Dry Rub Tofu with Spelt Elbows is an Italian fusion with a variety of flavors in every bite. Its a casserole dish to be enjoyed all year round. It's nutritious, protein packed and satisfying family dinner.
for the marinade
- 2 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 14 oz extra firm tofu ( pressed, drained and chopped into 1 inch cubes)
For the pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 whole yellow onion (thinly sliced-lengthwise)
- 1 whole green bell pepper (thinly sliced-lengthwise)
- 1 whole red bell pepper (thinly sliced-lengthwise)
- 6 roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 1/2 cups cooked spelt elbows/macaroni pasta
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients and toss it well with a spoon making sure that each tofu pieces are well coated with the spice mix. Cover and let it stand for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking dish by greasing it well.
In the meanwhile, heat oil in a non stick pan and saute garlic in it.
Add onion and saute until translucent. Then toss in green and red bell peppers.
Add tomatoes and cook covered until tomatoes release its juice and are mushy. Then, add salt and ketchup. Mix well and turn off the flame.
In the prepared baking dish spread the first layer of half of tomato mix. Then add another layer of pasta and followed by marinated tofu. Repeat the layer again with the remaining tomato mix, followed by pasta and marinated tofu. Lastly, top it with vegan mozzarella cheese.
Place the dish at the bottom rack of the oven and bake it for 25 minutes. Now, shift it to the middle rack and bake again for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts nicely.
Turn off the oven and take it out. Serve hot.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. Refrigerate the leftovers for about a week by just covering it with aluminium foil. Microwave when ready to eat.
- I have used spelt flour pasta here but you may use any elbow shaped pasta of your choice.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 847IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1mg