This Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale is absolutely a satisfying and nutritious lunch idea. It is made with utmost delicious combination of ingredients.
During those days when I was overweight and I was working to achieve a healthy weight, Often I used to wonder what to eat for lunch. I was looking for a balanced nutrition with good carbs, proteins, good fats and green veggies and yet flavorful.
As everyone else I always ended up eating the tasteless green salad with the regular dressing.
Then one day when I was fed up with the same lunch I decided to cook brown rice without any oil. It looked quite good and was tasty as well. But my next question was what should I eat with brown rice?
After a serious thought of one week I decided to include black beans and by then I had developed a taste for Kale.
So instead of using kale for smoothies or salad I thought I would saute it with garlic. My house was full of the mouthwatering aroma of garlic and the kale looked beautiful.
Ingredients for Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale
White sesame seeds
How to cook this Black Beans and Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale.
Firstly, I heated oil in a pan and then I added garlic and sesame seeds. Immediately, I sauteed scallions in it.
Secondly, I tossed in kale and sauteed for few minutes.
Thereafter, I added black beans and mixed them well.
Afterwards, I seasoned with with spices and mixed in brown rice.
Later, I let it cook covered for few minutes and turned it off.
Lastly, I garnished it with hemp seeds and served immediately.
Since I believe in quick cooking and I try to establish an easy way of cooking most of the time I added black beans to the garlicky kale.
This is how I created this Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale. Now, its one of my favorite lunch whenever I need change of taste or have leftover brown rice and yet I can maintain my healthy weight.
- This recipe tastes good immediately or cold from refrigerator as well.
- It lasts for about a week in the refrigerator for about a week.
- To make it oil free simply use 2 tbsp of vegetable broth to saute garlic and sesame seeds instead of olive oil.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because I love to see what you cooked.
This Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale is absolutely a satisfying and nutritious lunch idea. it is made with utmost delicious combination of ingredients.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Fresh/dried garlic
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 cup scallions/green onions
- 2 cups chopped baby kale
- 1 15 oz canned black beans ( drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 tbsp crushed pepper flakes/chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and sesame seeds, as soon as they start getting brown slow down the flame and add white portion of scallions.
Saute for few minutes in the low flame and add kale and saute again. Then add black beans. Mix well.
Mix in all the spices and saute again for few minutes. Toss in green portion of the green onions/spring onions/scallions and saute again.
Add brown rice and mix well so that the rice is fully coated. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until done.
Take it out in a serving plate and garnish with hemp seeds.
Serve hot, or at room temperature or can be served cold. Can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated and consumed the next day.
- I personally prefer it cold so I always cook this recipe a day ahead and eat it next day for lunch.
- Add white portion of the spring onions in the beginning and the green portion at the end for the distinct flavor of the onions.
- This recipes comes out well with leftover cooked brown rice.
- It lasts for about a week in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
- To make it oil free simply use 2 tbsp of vegetable broth instead to saute.