Spiced Apple Carrot Soup
It’s getting cooler here in Seattle and the sky is mostly grey and once in a while the sun peeks out from the clouds for a short time. With the days shorter and nights cooler I can only think of a bowl of warm soup. Since its October and fall is at its peak the first ingredient that came to my mind was apples.
I love those red juicy apples in this season because they are the best right now and when I blended the apples in a spiced carrot soup it was mind blowing. If you remember my spicy carrot amaranth soup and apple pumpkin soup with caramelized onions, the spice ingredients in them and the aroma of those soups……this Spiced Apple Carrot Soup reminds me of them. Oregano, basil, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut create an incredibly soothing flavor and to spice this broth up a bit sprinkle cayenne pepper. I added diced apples and julienned carrots to make this soup wholesome and a typical fall recipe. I blended it smooth and warmed it up just before serving.
It was comforting to indulge into this soup after a long tiring day, snuggling inside the blanket, house smelling of spiced candles and watching our favorite show, it was a perfect weeknight. A bowl of Spiced Apple Carrot Soup satisfied our tummies and brought so much deliciousness to our home.
It’s definitely possible to have fun with food on weeknights too and especially if it’s healthy it’s a bonus and I love the fact that healthy meals can be prepared in less than 30 minutes with minimum stress.
Spiced Apple Carrot Soup
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||10 minutes|
|Total Time:||20 minutes|
|Serves:||3||See full nutrition!|
|Per Serving:||91 calories|
- 4 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 whole apple (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Boil water in a sauce pan.
- Add garlic, oregano, basil, cayenne powder, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powered. Cook covered for couple of minutes or until you get the aroma of the spices.
- Add apples, carrots and salt.
- Stir and cook for 7-8 minutes or until apples are very soft.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Blend smooth in a blender and pour the soup again in the same sauce pan.
- Turn on the flame and add coconut milk and stir.
- Cook enough to be warm as per your desired temperature and serve immediately.
Notes:Feel free to drizzle more coconut milk when serving depending on your taste.
I used tetra pack coconut milk to lighten the consistency of my soup.
If you aren’t a fan of nutmeg powder you may reduce the measurement to ¼ tsp.