Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry
Lentils are one kind of proteins that my family loves to eat. I personally like to cook lentils in a variety of ways and try to be as creative as possible. This time while I was boiling green lentils some weird ideas cropped into my mind. I looked inside my refrigerator and found some fresh basil herbs eagerly waiting to be consumed
I decided to go with my idea and yet I wanted to cook this recipe to perfection in just one attempt (because my family was hungry and was waiting for their dinner) . I quickly heated some olive oil in a nonstick sauce pan and added garlic, cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilies and then came my secret ingredient….. lots and lots of fresh Basil herbs……
Then, again I camouflaged lots of vegetables and few of them being zucchini and broccoli (these vegetable are usually difficult to feed my family) and cooked nicely. I was totally bowled over with the aroma of Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry.
But…. My test wasn’t over….. the real achievement was still waiting….. the thought was playing in my mind whether my family would eat this Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry…….
I served this curry over a bed of steamed rice and Whoa…. I won… they all ate happily with smiling faces. I couldn’t believe that even my 4 year old happily ate the lentil curry and said… mmmmmm…. Yoommyyy……
SHHHH…. They still didn’t know what vegetable they ate but I make this recipe at least once every week while keeping the secret inside my tummy….
Healthy family = happy mommy!!!!!!
Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||20 minutes|
|Total Time:||30 minutes|
|Serves:||4||See full nutrition!|
|Per Serving:||234 calories|
- 1 cup dry green lentil (rinsed)
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole dry red chilies (broken)
- ¼ cup chopped basil (fresh)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (fresh)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Combine lentil and 2 ½ cups water in a pressure cooker and boil until 2-3 whistles (do not overcook to avoid it being mushy).
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add garlic, cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilies, basil and cilantro. Mix them properly.
- Add onions and sauté until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and cook covered for couple of minutes.
- Add rest of the vegetables and cook until soft but not mushy.
- Add boiled lentils along with its water and mix very well.
- Add salt, chili powder and the rest 1 cup of water.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes or until aromatic and well cooked.
- Serve over steamed rice and enjoy.
Notes:If you do not have pressure cooker you may combine lentil and 2 ½ cups water in a sauce pan and boil covered until lentils are soft enough to be broken with fingers.
I slightly mashed zucchini and broccoli while cooking with a food masher for my little one so she can’t find what she ate. You can do the same if desired.